We don't use Venmo or Zelle due to state and federal regulations governing Caltech's student financial aid and student loan dollars.
You can use what we call "Alternative Venmo." It is a way for OSE to aid student groups with collecting funds rather than using Venmo or Zelle, which are not allowed under Caltech policies.
Alternative Venmo utilizes an online form (JotForm) embedded with online payment integration (Authorize.net) to make this collection possible.
- Ticket sales for an event (i.e. ASCIT/GSC Formals)
- Cover charges for events (i.e. interhouses, happy hours)
- Merchandise Sales (i.e. house merch)
- Subsidize trip expenses (i.e. ski, beach, or desert trips)
- Collect membership dues (i.e. club membership, house social membership)
- Sale of raffle tickets
- Collecting tournament fees
These are just some examples. Please feel free to set up a meeting to discuss items that are not listed.
- No Venmo or Zelle purchases
- No donations or fundraising efforts.
- If funding comes through OSE with the Alternative Venmo, the funds must stay on campus.
- You are not allowed to set up a payment station or stationary location. You must use a QR code to distribute the payment link. This means you cannot set up a single computer to collect multiple people's transactions.
Please set up a meeting with the Student Financial Hub to discuss your activity and form options.
The online form (JotForm) is fully customizable. You will be able to pick a theme, color, wording, response email, etc. You are also able to view the live submission results so you can keep track of the income funds.
All collected funds will be ‘housed' in the Institutes Finance Department's business account. OSE requests a PTA deposit report quarterly. This report enables the Finance Department to route the corresponding funds to the appropriate student accounts (PTA or Bursar).
*This report can be done monthly if a circumstance requires it.
If you encounter payment issues, you are probably experiencing one of the following:
- Incorrect ‘billing' address
- Incorrect ‘billing' zip code
- Too many purchases from one IP address or device
*Double check the above reasons if you encounter an issue. If that doesn't resolve the issues, please reach out to the Student Financial Hub.
- Alternative Venmo can be used for many purposes
- General house form, form per activity/event, etc.
- Collection parameters are endless
- Open forms, closed dates, submission limits, IP limits, etc.
- Direct Refunds
- Within 60 days of transaction date
- Voided Transactions
- Within 24 hours of transaction
- Built in fraud protection
- Stationary Location Set-up not allowed.
- QR codes can be used with the form link.