Planning an event? We can help!
Review the Student Event Handbook and submit an event registration form to request approval and any needed support. Additional information is available in the Event FAQ. If you have further questions, please contact the Office of Residential Experience at email@example.com.
Which events require registration?
All student-planned events that are sponsored or subsidized by Caltech and which include one or more of the following components must be registered:
- All events with alcohol service whether they are hosted on or off campus (Graduate Student residents in the Catalinas may host events with alcohol without registration if the event will have less than 32 people)
- Events on campus with 50 or more people (without alcohol)
- Off-campus events with 30 or more people and/or when a group is traveling 30 miles or more from campus (House retreats, ski trips, ASCIT and GSC formals, etc)
- Any event with special access or materials (Pumpkin drop, LN2, Animals, etc)
- Events that include construction
- Any event where RLCs or advisors request registration
- Pranks should also be registered. Please review our Prank Protocol
All events with alcohol service must include:
- Professional bartenders hired by student affairs (must be vaccinated)
- Water and substantial food
- Orange Watch Volunteers
- Approval from the event management team
How early do I need to register an event?
The earlier we receive your event details, the more options we will have to support you and ensure your event is a success! Most events will require registration two weeks prior to the event date.
- Small events must be registered 2 weeks in advance
- Large events must be registered 4 weeks in advance
- Off-campus events must be registered 4 weeks in advance
- Advertising, alcohol purchases, and construction may not begin prior to registration; these items will be approved individually as part of the approval process. If construction is not completed and approved by noon 2 working days prior to the event, we cannot guarantee that it will be approved in time.
- If the registration process is started any later than outlined here, we cannot guarantee that it will be approved in time. Failure to receive approval in time will result in the postponement of the event.